How Can I Help My Child at Home?
- Make reading a part of your family's daily routine.
- Establish a time of day to read to your child and/or have your child read to you.
- Create a reading-friendly environment at home.
- Visit the local library.
- Sneak reading into everyday situations. Have your child read recipes, fortune cookies, and street signs. Ask your child to help you write lists and read them back to you at the grocery store. Make reading a lifestyle, not just 20 minutes at bedtime!
- When reading with your child ask questions, make predicitions, and discuss connections that you both have to the story.
For Parents of Children in Reading Recovery: