If a student will be absent for any reason, the school Office must be notified by a parent or guardian. If your child is ill, please call the attendance line before the school day begins.
Messages may be left on our voice mail system at any time, day or night. To leave a message, please dial 284-7551 and press 1 to access our absentee line. Please do not leave an absentee message on the teacher's voice mail or e-mail. If you know in advance that your child will be absent or will need to leave early, please send a note ahead of time, instead of calling. Parents are asked to wait twenty-four hours before requesting assignments when a student is absent due to illness. All assignments will be placed in the main office for parents to pick-up.The Board requires a written statement from parents/guardians for students who are tardy, dismissed early or absent from school. Any infractions of Board policy requiring attendance of enrolled students may result in disciplinary action and involvement of appropriate authorities. (Policy Number: 5210).The Board recognizes that on occasion compelling circumstances will require that a pupil be late to school or dismissed before the end of the school day. The Board requires that the school be notified in advance of such absences by the pupil’s parent or guardian, which shall state the reason for the tardiness or early dismissal. An excused absence is a pupil’s absence from school for a full day or a portion of a day for one or more of the following reasons:
• The pupil’s illness which must be verified by medical doctor’s note after three consecutive days.
• A death or critical illness in the pupil’s immediate family.
• Family illness.
• Educational opportunities.
• Excused religious observances.
• When consistent with Individual Education Programs, the Individuals with Disabilities Act Accommodationo Plans and Individualized Health Care Plans.
All other tardiness and early dismissals will be recorded as unexcused. An unexcused absence is a pupil’s absence for all or part of a school day for any reason other than those listed above as excused.
Tardiness and early dismissals result in the loss of instructional time. Excessive unexcused tardiness and/or early dismissals may cause students to be subject to disciplinary procedures and/or meetings involving the parents or guardians with an administrator and/or counselor. (Policy Number: 5210).Parents will be receiving notification of accumulated absences as follows:
• A letter will be sent home after a student has accumulated 10 days absent.
• A second letter will be sent home and a conference may be held to discuss unexcused absences after a student has accumulated 15 days absent.
• After a student has accumulated 20 days absent, a letter will be sent home explaining that the student is at risk of retention at his/her grade level.
• After a student has accumulated 30 days absent, the student shall be retained unless extenuating circumstances exist.