Copper Hill History
Copper Hill Elementary School was the 4th elementary school to open in the Flemington Raritan School District. It opened its doors to the first group of K-5 students in September 1996. This school is in the southern end of the district and currently holds students in grades K-4. The name Copper Hill reflects the copper mining activity that hit Hunterdon County in 1816. Mining lasted for 50 years in the area that is named for it and north to Flemington. Not enough copper was mined to make it a successful business.
Two blue historic markers explain this history. One marker located near our school on US Route 202/31, South. Another marker located in Flemington on Mine Street, tells the history too.