School Security: Please be alert and vigilant!
With the devastating news of a school shooting in Connecticut, it is important that we take a moment to review with you our district procedures for ensuring student safety.
- All staff members should wear their ID badge at all times and use the badge to gain access to the building.
- All classroom doors must remain closed and locked when vacant before, during and after school hours, except when the room is being cleaned. All exterior first-floor windows must be closed and locked when the room is unoccupied.
- All doors to the building must remain closed and locked at all times. Propping doors open is strictly prohibited.
- All staff and visitors should lock their car doors.
- All visitors should be identified prior to being buzzed into the building. Visitors must report to the Main Office upon entering and must wear a visitor’s badge during their stay.
- Any suspicious person, vehicle, package, device or baggage should be reported to a building administrator immediately.
- All staff should be familiar with emergency procedures and should develop personal/family plans in case of such occurrences.
As parents/guardians, we ask that you too remain vigilant to school security measures and committed to keeping our children safe. When visiting our schools or while out in the community, please be alert to suspicious activity and potential safety threats. I have been in communication with our local police departments regarding this matter. On behalf of the Board of Education and the entire district, I thank you for your attention and cooperation. A Global Connect call will be made to parents today. Thank you.
Gregory T. Nolan
Superintendent of Schools